Sunday, August 19, 2007

Norman vs Norman



Well I got the LMap bug fixed. There was something wrong with the brushes in the bathroom. What's a brush got to do with it?

NERDY TECHNICAL INFO:

The Torque Engine uses what's called Additive Constructive Solid Geometry to create interior levels. All that means is that it uses boxes that you can reshape and resize to form all sorts of artistic pieces. These boxes are called brushes. Most game engines, including Half-Life, Quake, LithTech, and Unreal use some form of CSG to create their levels. It's a more difficult method than what other 3d Editors use, but it has bonuses in culling (deleting geometry the game can't see) and collison detection.

END OF NERD TALK

So I don't know what was wrong with the bathroom brushes, but after I deleted them, the level worked fine.

So here's the good stuff...I put in a script (mini program) called AIGuard. The screenshot that started this entry is Norman attacking Norman. woohoo! That's a huge step.

I had problems with this script in the last entry, but it turns out the problem was simple (just like I thought)...There was one simple line in the script that read $AI_GUARD_ENABLED which was set to false. I set it to true, and EvilNorman is busting a huge ass catapult all over his self!


Of course there's problems...
I have a few other models that I'd been planning to use in the game, but when I put them in the game with the AIGuard script, they don't play their animations. I had a similar problem with Norman originally, but this is a different sort of problem that I again, can't fix. :(

No comments: